Q & A with Jen Bristol, Director of Communications at Solar Energy Industries Association
Editor’s Note: This is a companion article to our spotlight on Unirac Strategic Account Manager Kendra Hubbard who serves as a Board Director with SEIA.
What is SEIA?
- Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association for the U.S. solar industry, representing companies that promote, manufacture, install and support the development of solar energy. SEIA conducts solar market research, hosts educational events, and advocates for pro-solar policies in Washington, DC and in state capitals across the country.
When and why was SEIA founded?
- SEIA was founded in 1974 to advocate with a consistent voice that supports widespread growth of solar energy resources in the U.S.
Who makes up SEIA’s membership?
- SEIA represents about 1,000 member companies from across the solar supply-chain and all technology and market segments: installers, project developers, manufacturers, contractors, financiers, law firms, and non-profits.
How has SEIA’s work impacted solar installers?
- SEIA’s advocacy has helped grow existing markets and build new ones, allowing solar installations to grow by more than 10,000 percent since 2006, when the solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) was first implemented. SEIA has worked to establish and protect net metering in states across the country, streamline permitting processes, and fight for fair rate design and compensation for solar generation.
What are SEIA’s goals for this year?
- SEIA has set a goal of reaching 20 percent of U.S. electricity generation by 2030, and that starts this year as we work to overcome challenges such as harmful trade policy, grid modernization and permitting, and interconnection. We are also advocating for state and federal policies that promote fair market rules and allow solar to compete.
How can readers of Unirac’s newsletter get involved with SEIA?
- If you work for a solar company, we strongly encourage you to get engaged with your advocacy groups and join SEIA as a member. Go to seia.org/join to learn how. If you are a solar advocate, join our Solar Power Advocacy Network, a community of industry professionals, advocates and leaders who recognize the need for more solar growth in the United States and are ready to hold lawmakers accountable. Join at www.seia.org/span.
Are there any specific ways our readers can help?
- SEIA is making the case that solar tariffs have negatively impacted U.S. jobs and economic investment, and that the President should inflict no further harm on the industry through trade policy. We have drafted a letter that we will send to the Trump administration, arguing that the misguided tariffs are hampering solar growth and limiting our potential, and would love your company to add its name to the letter.
Is there anything you would like Unirac’s readers to know about SEIA?
- We are proud to represent you in our advocacy for this great industry and hope you will continue to engage with SEIA as new policy fights arise.